I read with interest on a blogger who mentioned about the risk of FIRE. They are as follows:
- One may look foolish if he/she changes his/her mind. I quote myself as an example. I retired at the age of 40 (a few months short of my 41st birthday). I spend the next five years travelling the world and living a leisurely lifestyle and experiencing new things. This was after 18 years of work after the National Service. At the age of 45, I suddenly realise the reason why travel and play are so fun due to work. I opt to return to the game and it is very likely that lesser employers want to risk hiring a 45 years old me (in 2023) with the five-year employment gap. The employer is likely to choose hiring someone who has been continuously working or a younger candidate
- Possibility of getting sick/or run out of money – There is always a possibility of me having such circumstances.
- Isolation of friends and family.
- Difficulty in supporting a family.
- Loss of self-respect and others’ respect
I considered the above circumstances and am of view that it is better to retire as early as possible. The above circumstances only serves to hold me back from the already taken decision. There is bound to have all sort of considerations during the course of the life journey. One come alone in this world and eventually leave this world alone. The most important thing is to be happy in the existing things which I am doing. I am happy to live a minimalist lifestyle and this is sufficient for me at the very juncture.